RF Generators sometimes called Radiofrequency Generators, Lesion Generators or RFA machines can cost as little as $3,500 or as high as $35,000. Mostly it depends on the brand, if it is the latest model, how many outputs the RF generator has, the number of RF electrodes are included and how many watts the generator can produce.
The single RF output (single Lead) radiofrequency generators are the least expensive RFA machines available. They typically cost between $2,000 and $5,500.
The 3 lead spinal RF generators (yes, you are right, 2 channel RF machines were never made), anyway 3 channel radiofrequency generators normally cost between $6500 to about $9,000. And yes you guessed it, the 3 electrode RFA machines are no longer being made either, but are still very popular with pain management physicians.
There are several 4 lead RF generators available, in both new and used models. Neurotherm, Cosman, Stryker, Halyard, and Baylis to name a few. Prices for the top-of-the-line RF generators run from about $5,500 for a used model up to $35,000.
When you are looking to buy an RF generator for pain management many things can affect the price greatly:
- How many RF electrodes you are getting with it?
- Are the RF probes Stainless Steel or Nitinol? Nitinol probes are can be as much as twice as expensive as Stainless Steel Electrodes.
- Sometimes even the size of the RF probes can make a difference in price.
- “Just a note” you can almost always get RF electrodes thrown in for free or at a much lower cost when you buy the RFA machine. I have seen pain management centers save over $20,000 in one year by buying their estimated yearly need for probes with the purchase of their RF Generator.
- Is there any training included?
- If so for how long?
- Is the RF generator training going to be over 1 day or multiple days?
- Is it going to be onsite radiofrequency generator training or online or just over the phone?
- How long is the warranty on the generator?
- What is the warranty on the radiofrequency probes?
- Are the probes:
- What brand of electrodes are they including?
- If you are buying a c-arm, ultrasound machine, pain management c-arm table, or autoclave at the same time. A package deal can save you thousands.